Thursday, March 16, 2006

A soldier smacks down the DKos Left

After the DKos team was ranting about how General Franks didn't care about his troops, a soldier set them straight:

Ok. Having just spent almost two years in Iraq, I can unequivocally say that most of the posters here are a) full of [Army word], b) hopelessly brainwashed by their professors or the other idiots posting on this site, c) on a serious psychodelic trip that I can only envy, d) all of the above.

The region I was based out of was mainly shi'ite. Working in civil affairs, I spoke to this is a rough guess about 400-500 people. To a MAN, they described a hell on earth that existed before the US intervened. Most of them had relatives that had been tortured or killed or were just plain missing. They had zero rights, zero support, and zero respect from their Sunnit leaders. i think it absolutely sucks that I come home and find ignorance on a grand scale that i never imagined.

AS for our chain of command and the "apparent" lack of concern for casualties, let me tell you that from day one, it was drilled into our brains that we were to take utmost care to make sure that we kept civilian casualties to a minimum. i wasn't there when Franks was in command, but I read the ROEs and memos put out by Franks before I got there, and the common demoninator throughout was - surprise! - safeguard civilians. Thats why we were there. I cannot count the number of times we put ourselves in danger in order to avoid endangering civilians.

A friend of mine over there told me that this was a good site for intelligent debate and discussion. I can see that either he or I was mislead, because after about two weeks of reading this crap, it is apparent that either the server deletes all alternative viewpoints, or those who have alternative viewpoints have given up. Is there anyone here who has any viewpoint other than "Bush lied", or "Franks is a F[******]" (very intelligent, by the way.") just curious, because from what I've read, it appears that you have no idea what has been going on in the world during the last 20 years.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home